Underpinning Royal IHC’s dedication to building a sustainable future
Medusa® is a soil binder that glues soil into concrete-like structures. A wide variety of aggregates and waste materials, such as local sand, clay, silt and concrete rubble can be used in this process. This creates unique local-for-local and circular solutions which allows contractors to execute their construction projects in a more sustainable and cost-effective way.
- Add value to waste and make use of low-cost aggregates
- Avoid costs for soil disposal
- Avoid long haulage of resources
- Build with a low carbon footprint
- Benefit from performance characteristics of geopolymer concrete
Medusa® can be used for in-situ casting and precasting and is highly suitable in the following circumstances:
- Availability of low-cost aggregates
- Availability of excavated or dredged aggregates that otherwise need to be disposed
- Long distance haulage for regular concrete-grand sand and gravel
- Need for high resistance to chloride, acid, sulphate, freeze-thaw or high temperatures
- If high early strength development is attractive.
We develop tailor made recipes to adapt to project needs, the availability of aggregates and potential Medusa® ingredients. Typical Medusa® projects are for instance:
- Use dredged sand and silt to make coastal or river bank protection blocks
- Make circular concrete structures by fully reusing grinded concrete waste
- Use excavated soil to make a foundation layer for platforms or roads, or build these structures entirely with Medusa.